Sunday, May 20, 2007

Henry Maximilian “Max” Beerbohm died today – 51 years ago

Max Beerbohm (pronounced bēr´bōm) was born on August 24, 1872 in London, England. He was an English writer, artist, illustrator, drama critic, satirist, parodist, and caricaturist. He was busy. He contributed to the famous “Yellow Book.” It wasn’t like our Yellow Books where we can find places to buy things. I have been in London, England. I’ve also been in London, Kentucky (on my way to Gatlinburg, Tennessee). All three are very interesting towns.

Mr. Beerbohm died on May 20, 1956 in Rapallo, Italy. I have never been to Rapallo. But I was on a Globus Tour to Genova (Genoa to most of us) for lunch, so I was close by. From there, we went to Milano (Milan to most of us). I climbed about 150 feet – I mean, I took the elevator – to the roof of Milan's Cathedral. What a view! Italy’s a nifty country.

P.S. Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, born on August 26, 1451, died in 1506... French soldier and statesman Marquis de Lafayette, born on September 6, 1757, died in 1834... U.S. comic actress Gilda Radner, born on June 28, 1946, died in 1989.

No comments: