Friday, May 11, 2007

Max Reger died today – 91 years ago

Max Reger, born as Johann Baptist Joseph Maximilian Reger – good thing he’s known as Max – on March 19, 1873 in Bavaria, died on May 11, 1916. He was a German composer, organist, and pianist. I don’t think I have ever played anything he wrote. I really think I would remember that long name. I mostly prefer Chopin since his music is so melodic.

Wikipedia says (at the present time; it might change tomorrow) that “probably his best known orchestral work [is] the Variations and Fugue on a theme of Mozart (based on the opening theme of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Piano Sonata, K. 331).” I think I’d like to take someone else’s melody and write some variations on it. If anyone has one for me, I would appreciate knowing what it is. If you also have some of the variations worked out and don’t mind me taking the credit for it – just kidding.

There is even a Max Reger Foundation of America. On its site, you can make a donation to support the foundation. I’m not going to give you the link, since I would rather that you send your donation to me. Any amount would be fine, but, in this case, the larger the better. Small is not beautiful when money is involved. You might even want to inquire about monthly bank drafts.

P.S. A businessperson named John D. Rockefeller, Jr., born on January 29, 1874, died today in 1960. A singer named Bob Marley, born on February 6, 1945, died in 1981. Perhaps you’ve heard of one of them.

No comments: