Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday Misnomers – or Is That Sundry?

Every Sunday I try to watch “Meet the Press”, “Face the Nation”, and “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” to hear what other people are saying, to pass the time, or just to fume – usually the latter. But I must say that the first two shows are misnamed.

There is hardly ever much “the press” on “Meet the Press.” But there is an abundance of politicians. Therefore, perhaps it should be retitled “Meet the Politicians.” Today I was particularly irritated with Newt Gingrich when he said, “I am not comfortable with the current state in Iraq.” Wake up, Newt. Don’t be so smug. Find the right word. Comfort is when the electricity is working every time you want it. Comfort is eating food every time you want it. Comfort is buying things every time you want it. Comfort is feeling secure every time you want it… The situation in Iraq is a disaster. Fix it. They don’t need fluffy slippers.

And then there’s “Face the Nation.” Mostly it’s face those cameras – after the appropriate make-up has been applied. So it should be retitled “Face the Cameras.” That’s basically what they all do anyway… And by the way, I wonder who picks those guests. They’ve never asked me to be on the show … and I doubt if they ever will … unless they have to ask … because I’ve become so influential … from so many people agreeing with what I have to say … which probably … Oh, my! I’m rambling. Cheers!

No comments: