Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Harriet Martineau died today – 131 years ago

English journalist Harriet Martineau was born on June 12, 1802 in Norwich, England. She said, “The sum and substance of female education in America, as in England, is training women to consider marriage as the sole object in life, and to pretend that they do not think so.” {1} [I think times have changed.]... Ms. Martineau died in 1876.

U.S. actor Jack Lemmon was born on February 8, 1925 in Newton, Massachusetts. He said, “It's hard enough to write a good drama, it's much harder to write a good comedy, and it's hardest of all to write a drama with comedy. Which is what life is.” {1} [Amen!]... Mr. Lemmon died in 2001 in Los Angeles, California.

English singer, songwriter, & bass guitarist (for “The Who”) John Entwistle was born on October 9, 1944 in Chiswick, London, England. He said, “When I was six years old I was forced by my mother to learn piano, which I hated. However, it loosened up both my left and right hands.” {1} [That’s too bad about the piano. It’s a great instrument. I know.]... He died in 2002 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

{1} Source: www.brainyquote.com

No comments: