Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adam Smith died today – 217 years ago

Scottish economist Adam Smith was born on June 5, 1723 in Kirkcaldy, Scotland. He said, “All money is a matter of belief.” {1} [I believe. I believe... Ain’t working.]... Mr. Smith died in 1790 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

French writer Anne Louise Germaine de Staël-Holstein, usually known as Madame de Staël, was born on April 22, 1766 in Paris, France. She said, “One must choose in life between boredom and suffering.” {2} [Oh, my! Which should I choose? ... How about neither?]... Ms. de Staël died in 1817 in Paris, France.

French mathematician Henri Poincare was born on April 29, 1854 in Nancy, France. He said, “Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.” {1} [Uh... Yeah!]... Mr. Poincare died in 1912 in Paris, France.

U.S. singer Billie Holiday was born as Eleanora Fagan on April 7, 1915 in Baltimore, Maryland. She said, “I never hurt nobody but myself and that's nobody's business but my own.” {1} [But they’ll make it theirs nonetheless.]... Ms. Holiday died in 1959 in New York.

U.S. jazz musician John Coltrane was born on September 23, 1926 in Hamlet, North Carolina. He said, “You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.” {1} [But I wonder what it sounds like?]... Mr. Coltrane died in 1967 in Long Island, New York.

{1} Source: www.brainyquote.com
{2} Source: www.born-today.com

No comments: