Monday, August 13, 2007

Julia Child died today – 3 years ago

U.S. cook [not your ordinary kind] and author Julia Child was born on August 15, 1912 in Pasadena, California. She said, “Many aspects of my method are based on my feeling and experience. For instance, I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it—and, more important, *I* like to give it." [Did anybody want to be a chicken?]... Ms. Child died in 2004 in Santa Barbara, California.

French painter Eugene Delacroix was born as Ferdinand Victor Eugène Delacroix on April 26, 1798 in Charenton-Saint-Maurice, Île-de-France, France. He said, “One always has to spoil a picture a little bit, in order to finish it." [OK, you painters out there, do you agree?]... Mr. Delacroix died in 1863 in Paris, France.

English nurse Florence Nightingale was born on May 12, 1820 in Florence, Italy. She said, "I attribute my success to this—I never gave or took any excuse." [Amen!]... Ms. Nightingale died in 1910 in London, England.

U.S. writer Mary Austin was born on September 9, 1868 in Carlinville, Illinois. She said, “When a woman ceases to alter the fashion of her hair, you guess that she has passed the crisis of her experience." [Or she’s finally found something she likes.]... Ms. Austin died in 1934 in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

English writer H. G. Wells was born as Herbert George Wells on September 21, 1866 in Bromley, Kent, England. He said, “A time will come when a politician who has willfully made war and promoted international dissension will be as sure of the dock and much surer of the noose than a private homicide. It is not reasonable that those who gamble with men's lives should not stake their own.” [Ya’ think?]... Mr. Wells died in 1946 in London, England.

U.S. baseball player Mickey Mantle was born on October 20, 1931 in Spavinaw, Oklahoma. He said, “If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." [Ain’t that the way it always is!]... Mr. Mantle died in 1995 in Dallas, Texas.

No comments: