Sunday, June 3, 2007

William Harvey died today – 350 years ago

English physician William Harvey was born on April 1, 1578 in Folkestone, Kent, England. He discovered the nature of blood circulation. He said, “[M]emory cannot exist without endurance of the things perceived, and the thing perceived cannot remain where it has never been.” {1} [Uh-huh. I see. I guess.]... He died on June 3, 1657 in London, England.

Czech writer Franz Kafka was born on July 3, 1883 in Prague, Austria-Hungary. He said, “Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.” {2} [Finally, the fountain of youth has been discovered.]... He died in 1924 in Vienna, Austria.

English fashion designer & critic James Laver was born on March 14, 1899 in Liverpool, England. He said, “The same costume will be Indecent 10 years before its time, Shameless 5 years before its time, Outré (daring) 1 year before its time, Smart, Dowdy 1 year after its time, Hideous 10 years after its time, Ridiculous 20 years after its time, Amusing 30 years after its time, Quaint 50 years after its time, Charming 70 years after its time, Romantic 100 years after its time, Beautiful 150 years after its time.” {3} [That doesn’t apply to my wardrobe. Trust me.]... He died in 1975 in London, England.

Irani religious leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini was born on May 17, 1900 in Khomein, Markazi Province, Iran. [No quotes seemed appropriate. It’s my blog and I’ll exclude if I want to... There must be a song in there somewhere.]... He died in 1989.

English actor Robert Morley was born as Robert Adolph Wilton Morley on May 26, 1908 in Semley, Wiltshire, England. He said, “I have little patience with anyone who is not self-satisfied. I am always pleased to see my friends, happy to be with my wife and family, but the high spot of every day is when I first catch a glimpse of myself in the shaving mirror.” {1} [Gives you quite a jolt, does it?]... He died in 1992 in Wargrave, Berkshire, England.

{1} Source: http://thinkexist.com
{2} Source: www.brainyquote.com
{3} Source: www.poemhunter.com

No comments: