Saturday, July 7, 2007

Richard Brinsley Sheridan died today – 191 years ago

Irish playwright Richard Brinsley Sheridan was born on October 30, 1751 in Dublin, Ireland. He said, “Fertilizer does no good in a heap, but a little spread around works miracles all over.” {1} [So spread it far and wide... far and wide, I say.]... Mr. Sheridan died in 1816 in London, England.

Swiss writer Johanna Spyri was born on June 12, 1827 in Hirzel, Switzerland. She wrote the story “Heidi.” She said, "Oh, I wish that God had not given me what I prayed for! It was not so good as I thought!" {2} [As the saying goes, be careful for what you wish, 'cause you just might get it!]... Ms. Spyri died in 1901 in Zürich, Switzerland.

Scottish writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born on May 22, 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. He wrote stories about the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. He said, “I have frequently gained my first real insight into the character of parents by studying their children.” {1} [Children are quite reflective.]... Mr. Doyle died in 1930 in Crowborough, Sussex, England.

U.S. actress Veronica Lake was born as Constance Frances Marie Ockelman on November 14, 1922 in Brooklyn, New York City, New York. She said, “You could put all the talent I had into your left eye and still not suffer from impaired vision.” {1} [Oh, don’t be so hard on yourself.]... Ms. Lake died in 1973 in Burlington, Vermont.

{1} Source: www.brainyquote.com
{2} Source: www.born-today.com

No comments: